Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Preparation and placement

Thank you to all who already support me with gifts and prayers. I am readying myself and my stuff to leave August 24 for orientation. From there, I leave September 1 for Nairobi. With less than three weeks now, I'm deciding on things to pack, whether to get a computer, which malaria medication to take, and other such fun things. Before I pack, though, I must thin the perverse accumulation of junk in my bedroom (and yes, still in the the garage, too). Excess will be hard enough to come back to without having to swim through it to get to my bed.
I have finally noticed that I am actually going to Kenya. This fact is more easily grasped in the concrete tasks of visa application and packing list generation than in the abstract processes of waiting and discernment. Waiting has become active, with physical preparation readying my thoughts. I pray for wisdom as I pack and peace as God prepares me for my journey.
News! I have heard from our wonderful site coordinator that I am placed at a high school in central Kenya. I am terribly excited. I love working with kids. With another YAV at the same site, I have an automatic friend there. He's probably already sick of me. I'm looking forward to working with him.
Two and a half weeks or so? Time to get rolling. I must leave you. I need your prayers for wisdom and peace as I prepare. God has certainly been providing for me this summer. I realized today that the story of Jacob at Bethel that has meant so much to me every time I move will be especially true this time, as my malaria medication is likely to cause strange dreams. God is already in Kenya at work. I look forward to seeing that.

1 comment:

  1. post another!! you're about to leave, how do you feel Mr. Geerlings??
    love you

    ReplyDelete